Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Shoot Me

This week at work has been absolute hell for me. This is the week that we prepare for the ultimate in shopping days: Black Friday. The Day After Thanksgiving. Also known to those of us in the retail business as HELL. We generally aren't allowed overtime at the Wal Marts, but this week, if we volunteered to work on Thanksgiving day (which this glutton for punishment did), we are allowed darn near unlimited overtime. I don't like working more than my 40 hours/week, but getting paid more than $22/hour to do so is a pretty damn good incentive. Not only that, but the position that I hold in my store (Zone Merchandise Supervisor) easily will fill up more than that 40 hours/week on a NORMAL week, so this week is extra horrible. And it's so far from over that it's not even funny. I went in on Sunday morning (I wasn't even scheduled, but I had a lot of work to get done with planning), with the intention of only being there for 2-3 hours. 5 hours later....I finally left. Both yesterday and today, I worked over my scheduled shift. Not only do I get that overtime, but I actually got scheduled for 42 hours this week. I got SCHEDULED for overtime.

I'm ready to die. Today I spent my whole day out in the back of the store, taking "Black Friday" merchandise out of the boxes and re-palletizing it so that it's ready to go on Thursday. I live/work in Minnesota. It's November. I was actually GRATEFUL for the fact that it's been a warm November here, and was only in the 40's today. A little gloomy, but I didn't get too rained on. Tomorrow, however, I'm supposed to be doing the same thing. And tomorrow's forecast calls for snow.

If I survive my 50 hour week, I'm going to deserve not only a trip to the bar, but a much-needed vacation. If you don't hear from me for the rest of the week, it's because I'm rocking my awesome skillz at the Wal Marts.

No comments:

Post a Comment